Saturday, 22 September 2012

Getting things done..

I pieced my July & August Craftsy BOM blocks simultaneously so that I could save time and feel like I was being really productive. I really like the effect of the traditional dresden plate (especially with the pointed ends on the inside too) but they were very fiddly due to their size. If I was making another one I'd probably have fewer wedges that were a little fatter.
July Block #1 - Traditional Dresden Plate

July Block #2 - Modern Dresden Wheel
I used the "mock needle turn applique" technique that we used for the May QCA bee blocks with the dresden wheel instead of using homespun to back the wheel in order to give the nicely turned edge. The added bonus being that I was able to use the interfacing to fuse the dresden wheel & centre circle onto the background fabric/wheel and then simply top stitch around the edges. Perfect!

August Block #1 - Ohio Star

August Block #2 - Double Star
The August blocks went together quickly and easily. I actually ended up completing them before I finished the July blocks. I love the double star block - this one turned out gorgeously light and pretty, contrasting with the equally gorgeous but darker and more mysterious block that I made for Anorina's July bee block. Definitely a block I'd use again. The Ohio star was very quick and easy to piece, and I  loved the symmetrical effect I was able to achieve with the striped fabric in the hourglass blocks.

August QCA Bee Block for McKenna
Thank goodness the Feathered Star block is finished! It is such a beautiful looking block, but gave me such a hard time! Both Phillipa and I spent a lot of time cursing during construction, and even though I "completed" the block weeks ago, it looked terrible. I had to deconstruct it, adjust it and reconstruct it... and initially I just couldn't bring myself to do all that unpicking. This week I put my action pants on though and I'm pleased to say that it is now in McKenna's hot little hands. 

My test block for the Something Wicked This Way Comes blog hop :)
I finally managed to get a design banged out in EQ7 that I thought was able to be pieced, so I printed out my foundation templates and set to testing. Overall it went together exactly the way I'd hoped, and I just have a few lines to tweak before I make the second test block (hopefully the final block!). My husband thinks I should make some with different facial expressions... which I'll just knock up in all the spare time I have..... no worries, honey! Having said that, I have a couple of ideas on how I could tweak the block a little to give me atleast one more facial expression without a major redesign.


1 comment:

  1. Lots of great blocks! I'm so impressed with the Feathered Star (and quietly relieved I haven't had to make one for a bee yet!).

    Well done on the paper piecing pattern! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis