Thursday, 5 April 2012

Harry Potter quilt update

It's been ages since I've written an update on the Harry Potter quilt, and that's mostly because once I realised I wasn't going to have it ready before Christmas and it would become Bean's birthday present I just sat on it... because I had *time*... like a whole 6 months... except time has gotten away from me and now I have just less than a month. I can't disappoint my son by not having it ready in time for his birthday - he's been asking when he's getting his Harry Potter quilt and it makes me feel so guilty!

But over the last 2 weeks I've been on a roll - I completed the rest of the Split Drunkard's Path Star blocks, and laid it out so I could get an idea of how all my pieces looked together:
All my blocks, roughly placed.
 Next step: Making the owl blocks the same size as the star blocks. This shouldn't be too hard, right? It's just a case of cutting some triangles and sewing them on...
Auditioning 2 different fabrics as potential backgrounds for my owl blocks.
 I went with some blue "feedsack" (repro, of course!) fabric I'd bought at Spotlight, drew a scale drawing of my block and the "finished size" block and then used my ruler to work out how big my HSTs needed to be in order to make my block the right size. Luckily for me, it went together pretty smoothly. (Clearly my quilt math was ok!)
My larger owl block (unpressed)

Blocks laid out again with the larger owls
The next day I worked out how I was going to sash the stars to make them fit and have now turned them into strips of stars (but I forgot to take a photo) and I went and purchased a complimentary fabric that will go at the top and the bottom of the quilt top to make it longer. I think the width will be fine once it's all sashed and put together properly.

I haven't had a chance to touch it since last Thursday/Friday though as my husband and I have spent most of our spare time playing with Daisy, my new embroidery machine. (He is playing with another design he's digitized as we speak! I am sure he's getting WAY more out of this toy than I am! Oh, and my sister-in-law had her baby, so we've been visiting my new nephew!) Hopefully I'll get a chance to go to Phillipa's in the morning for our regular Thursday sewing morning and work on it some more then. Only 25 more days until it needs to be finished!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so much work, it's wonderful. Hugs and Happy Weekend Wishes xo
    Katherines Corner.com
    YourWeddingKeepsakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm working on a Harry Potter quilt too... though thankfully I don't have a deadline cause I'm no where near as finished as you are. Take a look if you have a chance http://beantownembroidery.blogspot.com/

    Congrats on your new nephew!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis